South Dakota Loves Life

Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Baby In My Womb Leaped For Joy

The Bible makes it very clear that unborn children in the womb are babies that are capable of emotion (in this case joy):
"When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy." (Luke 1:41-44, NIV, emphasis added)
In this passage, the word "baby" is translated from the original Greek word βρέφος, which means "an unborn or a newborn child." A modern definition of βρέφος would be "infant." There is no distinction in this word between the unborn child and the newborn child. In the Bible there are no fetuses, there are only babies--capable of emotion--whether born or unborn.