South Dakota Loves Life

Monday, July 17, 2006

Which Side Are We On in the Struggle for Women's Rights

Steven Conn writes in Which Side Are We On in the Struggle for Women's Rights:

Remember that for many, especially on the religious right, abortion and contraception are no different. What they really want is to control the reproductive choices we all make in accordance with their particular ideas.
This is a common argument I keep hearing from abortion advocates, although it puzzles me. I have no idea where they are getting that idea. My wife (who is more pro-life than I am, if that's possible) uses contraception. In fact I don't know anyone--Christian or not--who opposes contraception, and I've never heard it preached against in the pulpit.

I know that the Catholic church is opposed to contraception, although many American Catholics do not agree with that position. Bear in mind that the pro-life camp is not made up entirely of Catholics. I'm not Catholic.

The truth is, I would prefer that women use contraception before getting pregnant, rather than using abortion as a means of contraception after getting pregnant.